If you’re like many people, you enjoy the selection of eye glasses you can find online. However, while there are some perks with ordering glasses on the Internet, there are also a lot of drawbacks.
Online ordering isn’t as easy as buying a shirt or a book. Eye glasses are special because they have to be fitted to your face. How can you do that if you’re ordering behind a computer? Just like you probably wouldn’t buy a wedding gown or suit online without trying it on first, you shouldn’t buy eye glasses sight unseen.
Every pair of eyeglasses must be custom-fitted — not just to comfortably fit your face and suit your features but also to meet your unique prescription needs, according to the American Optometric Association. Ideally, your optometrist and optician must work together in order to ensure a proper fit.
Also, the question of quality comes into play. There’s really no guarantee that the quality will be suitable to you, as you can’t touch and feel the glasses prior to ordering. Studies have shown that about half of all glasses ordered online either contain an inaccurate prescription or don’t meet safety standards put in place to protect eyes.
Cons of Buying Online
- You can’t try on the glasses or have someone help you in person.
- It’s difficult to measure your own pupil distance, which you will need to order your glasses.
- It’s often difficult to return the glasses thanks to confusing and expensive return policies on glasses.
- You never know if you’ll end up with the right prescription.
- An incorrect prescription could cause blurred vision or discomfort.
- Some websites don’t take insurance.
What to Do
If you love to order items online but are wary of buying eye glasses from a company you don’t know, take these steps to ensure your protection.
- Take a close look at each online seller. How do they promise to help you before and after your purchase?
- Do a web search for the name of the seller, adding the word “complaint” or “review” and see what pops up.
- If you find glasses online, research other providers to see if you can find the same ones at a better price.
- Review return policies. Some have 14-day policies, others a year.
- Find out if shipping is included and who pays for it.
Contact Simon Eye Associates
Your eyes are too important to trust to just anybody. We recommend coming in for an appointment and getting a prescription from our eye doctors. We offer an extensive selection of eye glasses that rivals any online store. We can fit you for the perfect glasses that suit your features, and help you feel good and look great. Contact us today at 302-239-1933.